Deferral of jury service request letter template
Use this model letter to write to the court in support of an employee's application for the deferral of jury service where the reasons for the application are work related.
Employees who have been summoned for jury service can apply to be excused or to have the service deferred in certain circumstances.
A Company cannot apply for deferral on the employee's behalf, but it can write a letter supporting the employee's application, for example if their absence would cause difficulty to the organisation.
This document is suitable for use in England & Wales and Scotland, and was last reviewed and revised on 1 May 2022
- View a preview below.
- Purchase it individually, or as part of a library (options below).
- Download/email it.
- Edit it to suit your circumstances (square brackets ([ ]) indicate places requiring you to enter information / optional wording).
Deferral of jury service request
Dear [Recipient first name],
Request for deferral of Jury Service
As [name of employee's employer, we are writing in support of their application to [have their jury service deferred to a later date] OR [be excused from jury service].
We have seen a copy of their Jury Summons and we note that their jury service is scheduled to start on [date] and is likely to last for up to [number - usually two] weeks.
At this time, [name]'s current work commitments are such that their absence from the workplace would cause undue hardship and potentially substantial harm to the business. In particular (specify reason from list below, providing further detail as necessary):
- [Name] works in a small team of only [number] staff and, at this time, another member of that team will be absent on [annual leave/maternity leave/adoption leave/parental leave/paternity leave] OR
- [Name] works in a small team of only [number] staff and currently another member of that team is absent on long-term sick leave and has not been replaced OR
- [Name] is currently working on an important business project, their input into that project is key and therefore their absence from the workplace would have a significant detrimental impact on our ability to progress that project and to complete it on time OR
- This is our busiest time of the year and [name]'s absence from the workplac
All Management templates
Model management documents designed to help you manage people through a number of common, and not so common scenarios.
Managing people is an extremely important role in most organisations. Research indicates that line management (front line managers, supervisors and team leaders) have the greatest influence on the performance and engagement of an organisations people.
As such, having skilled and capable managers is critical to the success of an organisation.
Once purchased you may download any management template at any time over a one year period. This unlimited download access includes all updates and additions during the subscription period.£50