Adoption leave acknowledgement letter template3 minute read
Use this model adoption leave acknowledgement letter to confirm the employees intention to commence Adoption Leave, what there entitlement is, and whether they are eligible or not for Adoption Pay.
If they are entitled to Adoption Pay, you can choose wording for enhanced or statutory pay.
What is an Adoption leave acknowledgement letter?
The purpose of an Adoption Leave Acknowledgement Letter is to confirm to the employee that their request for adoption leave has been received and to outline the terms and conditions of the leave. This letter is an important communication between the employer and employee, and it serves to ensure that both parties are aware of their rights and responsibilities during the adoption leave period.
Specifically, the Adoption Leave Acknowledgement Letter should confirm the employee's eligibility for adoption leave and the expected duration of the leave. The letter should also explain the employee's entitlements, such as any statutory adoption pay or leave, and any other benefits or rights they may have during the adoption leave period.
In addition to confirming the details of the adoption leave, the letter should also provide guidance on how the employee can stay in touch with the employer during their absence and how to arrange their return to work. The letter should also explain the process for requesting any changes to the adoption leave, such as extending or reducing the duration of the leave.
By providing a clear and concise Adoption Leave Acknowledgement Letter, the employer demonstrates their commitment to supporting the employee during their adoption leave period and helps to maintain a positive working relationship with the employee. It also ensures that both parties have a shared understanding of the terms and conditions of the adoption leave, which can help to prevent disputes or misunderstandings in the future.
What legal and best practice aspects should employers be aware of?
Here are some key UK employment legislation regarding the issuance of an Adoption Leave Acknowledgement Letter:
- Employees are entitled to up to 52 weeks of adoption leave if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Employees must provide their employer with written notification of their intention to take adoption leave at least 28 days before the intended start date of the leave.
- Employers are required to issue an Adoption Leave Acknowledgement Letter to the employee within 28 days of receiving the employee's notification of their intention to take adoption leave.
- The Adoption Leave Acknowledgement Letter should confirm the employee's eligibility for adoption leave, the expected duration of the leave, and the employee's entitlements during the leave period.
- The letter should also provide guidance on how the employee can stay in touch with the employer during their absence and how to arrange their return to work.
- The employer should also explain the process for requesting any changes to the adoption leave, such as extending or reducing the duration of the leave.
- Employers must not discriminate against employees on the basis of their adoption status and must provide the same level of support and benefits to employees taking adoption leave as they would to employees taking maternity leave.
- Employees who feel that their employer has failed to provide the necessary support or has discriminated against them can raise a grievance or make a claim to an employment tribunal.a
Adoption leave acknowledgement [Delete this line]
Dear [Recipient first name],
Acknowledgement of adoption leave
Congratulations and thank you for telling me that you will be adopting a child. I am writing to you about your adoption leave and pay.
As we have discussed, you are eligible for 52 weeks adoption leave (26 weeks ordinary adoption leave plus 26 weeks additional adoption leave).
Given your chosen start date of [date], your adoption leave will end on [date]. If you want to change the date your leave starts you must give me 28 days’ notice, if at all possible. Please contact me if you wish to discuss this.
If you decide to return to work before [date], you must give me at least eight weeks’ notice.
If you decide not to return to work you must still give me your proper contractual notice. Your decision will not affect any entitlement to SAP.
As we also discussed, you are eligible for 39 weeks’ Statutory Adoption Pay.
Your Statutory Adoption Pay will be £ [amount] from [start date] to [end date] and £[amount] from [start date] to [end date] .
As we also discussed, you are not eligible for Statutory Adoption Pay.
The SAP1 form (enclosed) explains why you do not qualify for Statutory Adoption Pay. You should contact your adoption agency to find out if you can get any other help.
If you have any questions about any aspect of your adoption entitlement, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. I wish you well.
Yours [faithfully | sincerely],
[Sender job title]
- You save time and effort with a professionally written, editable HR document that is tailored to meet best practice.
- You ensure compliance with applicable ACAS Codes of Conduct and other legal requirements.
- You are notified by email whenever this template or its supporting resources are updated.
- You enjoy 12 months of unlimited access with no hidden fees or extra costs.
- You unlock a 25% discount on all future purchases or renewals of our libraries, toolkits, and templates.