PPE policy template1 minute read
Use this model PPE policy to help protect your employees from exposure to work place hazards and the risk of injury through the use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
What is a PPE policy?
PPE is not a substitute for more effective control methods and its use will be considered only when other means of protection against hazards are not adequate or feasible.
It should be used in conjunction with other controls unless no other means of hazard control exist.
When there are hazards to the health or safety of personnel that cannot be addressed by other methods, [Company] will supply and maintain appropriate personal protective equipment.
This policy applies to all employees of [Company].
An assessment will be performed to determine the adequacy of the personal protective equipment to be given, and the equipment will be supplied to employees free of charge.
When personnel are obliged to wear more than one piece of personal protective equipment, [Company] will guarantee that the products are compatible.
[Company] will offer enough information, instruction, training, and supervision to ensure that workers understand the purpose of the personal protective equipment, the hazards it protects against, how to use it, and the steps to be taken to ensure that the equipment is maintained.
Employees shall utilise the specified personal protective equipment correctly.
The [office director, department manager, etc] will:
- ensure that personal protective equipment is considered as a last resort for controlling workplace risks;
- ensure that an assessment has been completed to determine the suitability of the personal protective equipment;<
- ensure that, where more than one item of personal protective equipment is to be used simultaneously, the items are compatible;
- ensure that, when it is necessary for the personal protective equipment to be hygienic, it is provided to a person for his/her sole use;
- ensure that staff are trained in the correct use of personal protective equipment, the risks that it protects against, the purpose of the equipment and actions to be taken to ensure that it remains in an efficient state, properly working and in good repair;
- ensure that personal protective equipment is adequately maintained so that it is at all times efficient and in good working order;
- replace any damaged or worn personal protective equipment where necessary and update the personal protective equipment issue record accordingly;
- take all reasonable steps to ensure that issued personal protective equipment is properly used;
- ensure that personal protective equipment assessments are reviewed for their confirmed application at least once every 12 months and when there is significant change.
- wear and use the provided personal protective equipment in the circumstances where a need for it has been identified by [Company] and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;
- inspect their issued personal protective equipment daily before use;
- immediately report any damage or defects to the equipment to the issuer for maintenance or replacement;
- not misuse or damage any personal protective equipment provided;
- inform the issuer of any problems in the use of the personal protective equipment.
Issue date: [date]
Author: [name, job title]
- You save time and effort with a professionally written, editable HR document that is tailored to meet best practice.
- You ensure compliance with applicable ACAS Codes of Conduct and other legal requirements.
- You are notified by email whenever this template or its supporting resources are updated.
- You enjoy 12 months of unlimited access with no hidden fees or extra costs.
- You unlock a 25% discount on all future purchases or renewals of our libraries, toolkits, and templates.