Acknowledgement of intention to return from maternity leave letter template3 min read
Our Acknowledgement of Intention to Return from Maternity Leave Letter template enables employers to formally recognise employees' return plans, fostering a supportive and organised transition process.
What is an Acknowledgement of intention to return from maternity leave letter?
An acknowledgement of intention to return from maternity leave letter is sent to an employee in response to their notification of their intention to return to work following a period of maternity leave.
The letter typically acknowledges the employee's notification of their intention to return to work and confirms the date of their return. It may also include any relevant information or policies regarding the employee's return to work, such as any required training or documentation.
Overall, the purpose of the letter is to confirm the employee's return to work date and to ensure that the employee feels supported and welcomed back to the workplace. It is an important document that helps to establish clear lines of communication between the employee and the employer and facilitates a smooth transition back to work.
What legal and best practice aspects should employers be aware of?
There are several key employment laws in the UK that should be considered when issuing an Acknowledgement of Intention to Return from Maternity Leave letter. Some of these laws include:
- Maternity Leave: Under UK law, pregnant employees are entitled to up to 52 weeks of maternity leave, which is made up of 26 weeks of ordinary maternity leave and 26 weeks of additional maternity leave. Employers must provide their employees with this time off and cannot discriminate against them on the basis of pregnancy or maternity.
- Maternity Pay: Employees who have been with their employer for at least 26 weeks are entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) for up to 39 weeks.
- Flexible Working: Employees who have completed at least 26 weeks of continuous employment with their employer have the right to request flexible working arrangements, such as part-time work or working from home. Employers must consider these requests and have a valid business reason for refusing them.
- Discrimination: Employers must not discriminate against employees on the basis of pregnancy or maternity. This includes treating employees less favourably than other employees, denying them opportunities for promotion or training, or making them redundant because they are pregnant or on maternity leave.
When issuing an Acknowledgement of Intention to Return from Maternity Leave letter, employers should ensure that they are complying with these key employment laws and that they are providing their employees with the support and flexibility they need to return to work after their maternity leave.
Acknowledgement of intention to return from maternity leave [Delete this line]
Dear [Recipient first name],
I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your maternity leave return to work notification letter. It is great to hear that you are returning to work on [insert date], and we are excited to have you back on our team.
[We have taken note of your request to return to work on a part-time basis for the first few weeks to facilitate a smooth transition back into the workplace. We will do our best to accommodate this request, and we will work with you to ensure that your return to work is as seamless as possible.]
We understand that returning to work after a period of maternity leave can be a challenging time, and we want to assure you that we are here to support you in any way we can. If you have any concerns or questions about your return to work, please do not hesitate to discuss them with us.
We appreciate the dedication and commitment you have demonstrated in your role, and we are confident that you will continue to make valuable contributions to our team. Once again, welcome back, and we look forward to working with you again.
Yours [faithfully | sincerely],
[Sender job title]
Maternity leave return to work notification letter template
If you have an employee on maternity leave, they can use this model letter template as notification that they will return to work as planned.
- You save time and effort with a professionally written, editable HR document that is tailored to meet best practice.
- You ensure compliance with applicable ACAS Codes of Conduct and other legal requirements.
- You get a process flowchart to help you adhere to best practice.
- You are notified by email whenever this template or its supporting resources are updated.
- You enjoy 12 months of unlimited access with no hidden fees or extra costs.
- You unlock a 25% discount on all future purchases or renewals of our libraries, toolkits, and templates.