Redundancy appeal meeting invitation letter template2 min read
Our Redundancy Appeal Meeting Invitation Letter template ensures fairness, inviting employees to discuss appeals with transparency and professionalism.
What is a Redundancy appeal meeting invitation letter?
The Redundancy Appeal Meeting Invitation Letter is a formal communication extending an invitation for an employee to discuss their appeal against redundancy. It outlines the meeting details, emphasising the organisation's commitment to a fair and transparent process.
This letter aims to provide employees with an opportunity to express concerns and present their case, fostering open communication during the appeals process and ensuring procedural fairness.
What legal and best practice aspects should employers be aware of?
There is no legal obligation to offer an appeal, but it's good practice to offer employees the chance to appeal if they feel they were selected unfairly for redundancy.
An appeals process can help to:
- give you early warning the redundancy selection process might have been unfair and the chance to correct it.
- deal with and resolve an employee's complaint, avoiding an employment tribunal claim.
- show a tribunal that you have followed a fair process.
If an employee is successful in an appeal, it's likely to mean another employee will have to be made redundant in their place. This could be a very difficult situation, especially if the employee was previously told they were safe from redundancy.
- prepare for how to handle the situation sensitively with the employees affected.
- keep communication clear and open.
- offer support.
If an employee thinks they've been unfairly selected or there was a problem in the redundancy process, you should give them the chance to appeal within a reasonable timescale of receiving their redundancy notice. For example, 5 days could be reasonable.
The employee should tell you in writing the reasons for their appeal.
Redundancy appeal meeting invitation [Delete this line]
Dear [Recipient first name],
RE: Your appeal against your redundancy
I am writing to confirm that I have received your written notification that you wish to appeal against the decision to dismiss you on the grounds of redundancy.
I should like to meet you therefore on [date] at [time] in [location]. The purpose of this meeting will be for you to provide me with full details of your appeal in order that I can gather all the relevant facts.
Present at the meeting will be [name and position]. I would also like to remind you of your right to bring a representative. This can be a Trade Union representative, or a work colleague.
Please confirm both your attendance at this meeting and, if applicable, the name of the person who will be accompanying you.
Yours [faithfully | sincerely],
[Sender job title]
Redundancy appeal letter template
In case an employee wishes to appeal their redundancy decision, this template helps them draft a formal appeal, clearly stating the grounds for their appeal and supporting evidence.
- You save time and effort with a professionally written, editable HR document that is tailored to meet best practice.
- You ensure compliance with applicable ACAS Codes of Conduct and other legal requirements.
- You get a process flowchart to help you adhere to best practice.
- You are notified by email whenever this template or its supporting resources are updated.
- You enjoy 12 months of unlimited access with no hidden fees or extra costs.
- You unlock a 25% discount on all future purchases or renewals of our libraries, toolkits, and templates.