Return to work interview script template3 min read
Ensure a smooth return to work with a comprehensive meeting script. Address concerns, clarify roles, and provide support in the return to work meeting.
What is a Return to work interview script?
The purpose of a return to work interview is to facilitate a smooth transition for an employee who is returning to work after a period of absence, such as a leave of absence, vacation, or medical leave. The interview allows the employer or interviewer to:
- Welcome the employee back and make them feel valued and supported.
- Assess the employee's physical and mental well-being and address any concerns they may have.
- Discuss any changes or updates that may have occurred during the employee's absence.
- Clarify the employee's role and responsibilities to ensure they are aware of any adjustments or updates.
- Identify any accommodations or support the employee may need for a successful return.
- Reestablish communication and collaboration within the team and provide an opportunity for the employee to reconnect with colleagues.
- Address any questions or concerns the employee may have and offer ongoing support throughout the transition.
Overall, the purpose of the return to work interview is to create an open and supportive environment, ensure a smooth reintegration into the workplace, and address any issues that may affect the employee's well-being or performance.
What legal and best practice aspects should employers be aware of?
Here are some key UK employment legislations that support the implementation of return to work interviews:
Health and Safety at Work Act 1974: Places a duty on employers to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of their employees, including providing a safe and supportive return to work process.
Equality Act 2010: Prohibits discrimination, harassment, and victimization in the workplace, including ensuring that return to work processes are fair and non-discriminatory.
Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999: Requires employers to conduct risk assessments and take appropriate measures to protect employees' health and safety during their return to work.
Work and Families Act 2006: Introduces the right to request flexible working arrangements, which can be considered during the return to work process to support work-life balance.
Data Protection Act 2018: Sets out rules for the processing of personal data, ensuring that any information collected during return to work interviews is handled confidentially and in compliance with data protection principles.
Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006: Prohibits age discrimination, ensuring that the return to work process is fair and unbiased for employees of all ages.
Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992: Provides rights and protections for trade unions and their members, which may be relevant if trade union representatives are involved in the return to work process.
Return to work interview Script [Delete this line]
Hello [Employee's Name], welcome back to work! I will be conducting your return to work interview today. The purpose of this interview is to ensure a smooth transition back into the workplace and address any concerns or needs you may have. Before we begin, I hope you had a restful time during your leave, and I want to assure you that we are here to support your return.
How are you feeling about being back?
[Health and Well-being]
Before we discuss your role and responsibilities, I would like to inquire about your health and well-being.
How are you feeling physically and mentally?
Have there been any changes since you were last here?
We prioritise the well-being of our employees, so if you require any accommodations or support during this transition, please don't hesitate to let us know. We have resources available to assist you.
[Role and Responsibilities]
Let's shift our focus to your role and responsibilities.
Can you share any concerns or challenges you anticipate upon your return?
Are there any changes or updates you need to be aware of within your position or the company?
We understand that returning after a leave may require some adjustment. To ensure a smooth transition, we will provide you with any necessary updates and support you in getting up to speed. Please feel free to reach out to your team members or myself if you have any questions along the way.
[Work Environment and Support]
In terms of your work environment, is there anything specific you need to feel comfortable and supported in your role? It could include workspace accommodations, flexible working hours, or any other factors that will help you thrive.
We encourage open communication and teamwork within our organisation. We will facilitate opportunities for you to reconnect with your colleagues and ensure you feel supported throughout this transition.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. It's important to us that you feel supported as you reintegrate into your role. If any additional questions or concerns arise in the coming days or weeks, please don't hesitate to reach out. We are here to assist you in any way we can.
We're glad to have you back, and we're confident that you will quickly settle back into your role. Once again, welcome back, and we look forward to your contributions.
[End of Interview]
Return to work interview form template
This form should be used to record the Return to Work Interview between the manager and employee.
- You save time and effort with a professionally written, editable HR document that is tailored to meet best practice.
- You ensure compliance with applicable ACAS Codes of Conduct and other legal requirements.
- You get a process flowchart to help you adhere to best practice.
- You are notified by email whenever this template or its supporting resources are updated.
- You enjoy 12 months of unlimited access with no hidden fees or extra costs.
- You unlock a 25% discount on all future purchases or renewals of our libraries, toolkits, and templates.